Monday, February 9, 2015

Fitbit Flex Makeover



I got a fitbit flex last year in hopes that I would work out and lose some weight.
It's helped...but I could do better.  But that's not the fitbit's fault!

I usually get my 10,000 steps every weekday.  Weekends, I relax more and don't get as many steps.
The biggest motivation for me is the fitbit workweek hustle challenges.  They're great!  You can create your own and invite your fitbit friends to join in.  Then you call compete thru the week to see who gets the most steps.  It gives you updates thru the day to let you know who is getting steps, hitting their goals and who is in close competition.  I've never considered myself a competitive person, but these challenges really bring it out in me!!  Last week was the first week that I won the gold!!

I wear my fitbit flex all day and evening.  It's the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off.  For almost a year, I've worn the rubber band that came with the flex.
How boring is that?  Blah!  It's flexible and comfortable, but not very visually appealing.
Like a dummy, I assumed these bands were the only way you could wear the flex since the little part that tracks your activity fits inside.
Then I realized you could customize your fitbit bracelet!  I went to Pinterest for inspiration.



And then came up with my own versions:

Paracord works really well.  These might be my favorite option.  I found several YouTube videos to walk me thru simple bracelets like the cobra knot version.
Then I sewed a little pouch to the back/bottom in which to put the fitbit piece.  Super easy!  Just be sure to make your bracelet on the larger side of the spectrum.  I made a couple that fit my wrist before the fitbit was inserted.  After I put it in, I couldn't fit the bracelet around my wrist.



I bought some paracord at Hobby Lobby in a pre-made pack that came with the closures.  But the cord was too short to be able to make a bracelet out of one color.  You can splice together 2 colors, but I didn't learn that til later on...
I then got cord at Walmart for less and it came with a lot more!

 While at Hobby Lobby, I got some trim from the fabric department.  I really like this look!  Again, I used a similar color in felt to make a little pouch for the fitbit part to go in.  I make the felt pouch long enough that you can sorta fold the end over to close it up.  Next time, I think I'll sew on a little piece of Velcro to close up.


I had 4 wristbands from the 2 flexes I have had in the past year.  Long story short...first one got wonky and their company replaces it quickly.
Chad cut off the ends and drilled holes on the bracelet part so I could make bracelets with beads and lobster claw closures.  He had a tough time getting the hole big enough and finished enough.  It was not our best moment.  lol!
But he got it right and I love the way it looks.  The one on the left top was made with jewelry hemp string and the below it was made with stretchy cord.  
The left vertical is faux leather trim and the right vertical is upholstery trim.


I think it would be better for the hole-poking to use a tool called a Japanese Screw Punch

If you try making one, write a comment and show it to me!  I'd love to see what you come up with!
Meanwhile...I need to go get some steps!


No comments:

Post a Comment